Wednesday, December 9, 2015

DAY 26

Today was... interesting. It was a reminder that being a mom means being flexible, and willing to change plans when your kids need you. Not much went according to plan today, but everything worked out in the end. The best part was right when we finished decorating the Christmas tree (that we put up last night) and the kids started to sing and dance with pure childish joy at the fact that it is Christmas time. I got a little bit of work done on my novel, but I spent more time on sharing information about GMO bullshit and writing a nasty letter to the EPA.  I would love to make it a daily habit; to write an email, letter or even just make a call, to a government official about an issue that I care about. I could really do that everyday of the year for the GMO and Pesticide overuse and feel like I was working toward a solid goal.  Maybe someday that will be feasible for me.

Letting Go: I want to let go of my habit of driving so much. I live in Chicago and now that my kids transport a little easier, I am ready to look for more opportunities to take public transit. I'm not ready to give up the car completely, but with a little more planning time, I could cut my city driving in half at least. I guess, to really do this, I need to start keeping track of my current driving habits, and then set a goal in terms of miles per week.  And I'll be starting this in the dead of winter, God help me!

Gratitude: I took my 15 year old cat to the vet today for a check-up. In spite of being a total curmudgeon, he's in excellent health for a "senior" cat. They actually said he looks really young for his age. I am so thankful for his companionship. He and I have a very special bond and I love those moments when he rests his head against my lap when I'm working on the couch. <3

Shooting For: On the class tip, I've really been wanting to return to a martial arts practice for a long time. I took Aikido about 15 years ago and loved it, but I wasn't able to stick with it at that time. There's also a Kung Fu & Tai Chi place very close to my house that I've been considering. I'm drawn to the discipline and the self-defense tactics I would gain. Unlike the dance, this is something that I would like to stick with for a long time so that I can begin to develop a mastery. I just need to decide what the best fit for me would be.

That's it for today. Goodnight. ~k

2 comments:

  1. I've read them all and can hardly wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Stef! I'm just figuring out how to reply to comments on this blog.

      Delete