Friday, January 1, 2016

DAY "FREE"

I woke up this morning and realized that today was our last day of vacation. And it felt... just. right.  I was able to look back on this week and feel like it was time well spent. We soaked up every adventure and every relaxed sigh at the view and every delicious meal and every moment with loved ones. I didn't feel like it flew by or that I missed anything I was hoping to experience. It was a great week.

Later, I wondered if the fact that I've kept up with my meditation had anything to do with that feeling. Often, I have let my meditation practice and my exercise practice lapse when on vacation. And while I backed off a bit on exercise, I haven't missed a day of meditation. I think that practice of slowing down my thoughts on a daily basis, has helped to fill out my experience of the week, so that it neither felt too short or too long, but just right. I'll get into the car for our drive home tomorrow with a satisfied mind and spirit.

Today was the first day of 2016 and it started with lots of bacon. And some eggs. And green tea. And then, we made our traditional black-eyed peas and collard greens, this time with risotto, because that's what I had on hand. It was all delicious. We also celebrated my oldest child's seventh birthday a day early. We were joined by more family and it was all the more merry.

When Monday rolls around, we'll all be hitting the ground hard and fast, with a fully scheduled week ahead. I want to remember to take things one at a time, and allow myself to complete one task before worrying about the next. This will serve me well in the coming months.

Letting Go: As my 30s are dwindling down like a candle that is about to burn out, I find myself less and less attached to my identity as a 30-something. I feel like I am in the process of letting go of my 30s. Certainly, keeping this log and practice of reflecting daily on what it means to be 30-something or 40-something has helped a great deal with this. But, it also feels like a very natural and gradual process.

Gratitude: Today I am so grateful for this trip. For all the amazing experiences that I got to have, for this beautiful house we got to live in for 7 nights, for all the family that was able to make the trip to join us, for the view, the weather, the sunsets, the fine food and wine...

Shooting For: In my 40s, I am going to start taking better care of my face! While I feel like I'm aging pretty well in general, my face is telling a different story. I took it for granted in my 30s. Hopefully, it's not too late to reverse some of the damage, or at least slow down the creation of more damage.

thanks for reading.
goodnight. ~k

No comments:

Post a Comment